Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

Stephanie, survivor


In anticipation of launching my solo ATZ campaign, I've been going through my giant collection of odd miniatures in hopes of finding ones that can be, if you'll forgive the term, cannibalized for participants in the game.
This figure is one of rarest I own, and is special to me because it is one that I helped design.  Many, many years ago a friend named Steve Eserin launched a miniatures and terrain company called "The Figure Trader."  To support the line, he created a very interesting game called "Sabotage."  I was asked by Steve to provide some of the concept sketches for the game, and even got my name on the book.  Or rather, I got this accidental pastiche between my real name and my internet handle that Steve apologized for later.  Sadly, The Figure Trader lost a ton of money as a vendor in the meltdown of i-kore,which subsequently declared bankruptcy, forced their debtors to write off the loss, and then had the assets purchased by a member of their own staff who relaunched the entire line as Urban Mammoth.  (As a sidenote, one of i-kores disgruntled sculptors went onto be the guy behind Hasslefree miniatures.  If you ever look at the Void 1.1 line, you'll see his hand in it.)
Anyways, as a thanks for being part of the creation of Sabotage, Steve sent me a ton of resin sci-fi terrain which I still use, as well as a bunch of miniatures, including quite possibility the entire casting lot of this one.  Somewhere I've got about two dozen of this figure, whom I named Stephanie in honor of Steve Eserin.  She's got a little of the cheesecake look to her, but I'm thinking a blowtorch is an interesting option as an improvisational weapon against zombies.
As a side note, despite some health problems Steve still works for Terragnosis, which you should really go check out.

5 comments:

  1. She is really a cute one! And your mate is quite talented!

    If you had spares of this girl, would you be ready to part with one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely figure with a sad background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really interesting background story to a lovely figure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Siwoc I will have to take a look and see how many I actually have, but I'll think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be awesome! It is a cool mini!!!

    ReplyDelete